Everyone has had times in their lives where distractions have kept them from reading books. Here I have created a list of five common distractions and some easy ways to help readers avoid them. These ideas can also work for studying for school as well.
- Phone: If you can, leave your phone in a different room of the house/apartment. If you can’t, put the phone on silent and put it face down so you can’t see notifications as they come in.
- TV: Choose an area where you have no clear line of sight to the TV screen. If someone else is watching TV ask them to keep the volume on a lower setting so you can’t hear it from where you are sitting.
- Wandering Thoughts: If you can’t focus on your reading because your thoughts keep wandering elsewhere, try giving yourself five minutes to allow your mind to go over what it wants and then go back to what you are reading.
- Family/Friends: They wont mean to interrupt you, but they will. Communicate with them so they can make an effort to give you some space while you are reading.
- Noise: Most of us live in areas where we have neighbors and other things that make sounds. Since we can’t expect silence, try a sound machine to cancel out undesired noise. Try one of these
Have fun reading!!